Tis the season for all things pumpkin flavored! This recipe started off as a pumpkin bran muffin recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s book Vegan Brunch. I modified it to use oatmeal instead of bran, changed the spices a little bit, turned it into a bread instead of muffins, and added a crispy and tasty oatmeal topping. I have to make this one again before fall is over!
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp molasses
2 tsps vanilla
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 – 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- Preheat your oven to 400°. Grease a loaf pan with vegetable shortening.
- In a mixing bowl combine pumpkin, soy milk, apple cider vinegar, canola oil, molasses, and vanilla. Stir until all ingredients are mixed.
- In another larger mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, old fashioned oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until all ingredients are mixed.
- In the dry ingredients create a well in the center and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix them until combined, but don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Melt 1 tbsp of vegan butter. Combine the butter, brown sugar, and oatmeal until it creates a crumbly topping.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter and press it gently into the batter so it sticks to the top rather than crumbling off later.
- Bake the loaf for 35-40 minutes. You can test it by sticking a skewer in the center and when it comes out mostly clean or with sticky crumbs rather than gooey batter, it’s done.