Maybe you’ve noticed that I like cranberry orange as a flavor combo. There’s something about these flavors together that just tastes like fall and Thanksgiving. Add chocolate into that mix and it’s even better! If you’re looking for a vegan dessert to make for Thanksgiving this year, try out these Cranberry Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Sure, apple, pecan, or pumpkin pie might be more traditional, but if you have to travel to your Thanksgiving destination, pies aren’t the easiest thing to transport. These cookies are easy to pack up and take with you. You can even make them a couple days ahead of time so you have less to prepare on Thanksgiving day. They’ll keep well if you can keep yourself from snacking on them, which I must say is pretty difficult.
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of vegan butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 brown sugar
1 Tbsp EnerG egg replacer powder mixed with 4 Tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange extract
zest of one orange
3/4 cup of dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Zest the orange into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened vegan butter with the sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Use a whisk if by hand or medium speed if using an electric mixer.
- Mix 1 tbsp of egg replacer powder with 4 tbsp of water and stir well until there aren’t lumps.
- Add the vanilla, orange extract, orange zest and egg replacer mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Stir until well combined. Use low speed if using an electric mixer.
- Blend in the dry ingredients adding a little at a time and stirring in between. Once all of the dry ingredients are combined with the wet ingredients, stir in the chocolate chips and cranberries with a wooden spoon.
- Drop evenly sized balls of dough (about 1-2 tbsp per cookie) onto ungreased nonstick cookie sheets. Bake for 9-10 minutes and check. Bake longer if needed. Mine needed to be in for about 15 minutes, but all ovens vary.