Tofu scramble is a vegan staple. Everyone seems to have their own version. This basic tofu scramble recipe is one I make often and usually eat on it’s own or with a side of vegan bacon, sausage or the roasted potatoes I posted earlier. It’s also fun, and tasty, to make it into a burrito. There are many different flavor options when it comes to tofu scramble and endless options to include in your burrito. Be creative and add in your favorites!
4 cloves of garlic
1 small yellow onion
1 red pepper
1 pack of extra firm tofu – 14 oz.
1 green onion
veggie bacon – I used Smart Bacon
sauce of choice – salsa, hot sauce, ketsup, etc.
- Chop the pepper and onion. Thinly slice the shallots and press or mince the garlic. Chop the tomato and green onion and set aside. Saute the pepper, onion, shallots, and garlic with a little olive oil.
- Drain the tofu and blot off any excess water with a dish towel or paper towel. Crumble up into bite size crumbles of tofu. I tend to leave them on the slightly larger side because they break apart more as you cook the tofu. Add the tofu to the sauteed veggies.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, curry powder, tumeric, paprika, and cumin to the tofu. I start conservatively with the spices and mix the tofu until the spices are evenly distributed. Then I taste the tofu and add more spices to taste. Let the tofu cook for about 3-5 minutes longer so some of the water evaporates off and you get some crispy edges.
- Pan fry the vegan bacon in a little bit of olive oil.
- Heat up your tortillas in a flat skillet over medium heat. They’ll be much easier to wrap, and less likely to break, if they’re warm.
- Layer tofu scramble, bacon, tomatoes, and green onions on the tortilla. Add in whatever sauce you prefer (salsa, ketsup, hot sauce, etc.). Don’t overfill the tortilla or it will be hard to wrap. Wrap up your burrito and enjoy!