This is a recipe I promised ages ago in my post about Blackbird Pizzeria in Philadelphia, but I didn’t get around to making it until now. Blackbird Pizzeria’s Chickpea Salad is really tasty, so I had to try replicating it at home.
Oftentimes, vegans refer to Chickpea Salad as Vegan Tuna Salad, or Chickpea “Tuna” Salad. It does taste surprisingly like tuna salad, so if you’re missing that, this is a great substitute. Even if you aren’t vegan, I would recommend this as another yummy alternative for lunch. If you’re ever in Philly, be sure to make a stop at Blackbird Pizzeria. It’s one of my favorite vegan restaurants and I go there pretty much every time I find myself in Philly.
1 can of chickpeas
1/4 cup sweet relish
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 sprigs of fresh dill
1 very small yellow onion or 1/4 of a large yellow onion
3 chopped artichoke hearts
2 stalks of celery
your favorite bread
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a mixing bowl and mash them well. There can be small chunks, it doesn’t have to be as creamy as hummus.
- Add mayonnaise and sweet relish to the mashed chickpeas and stir well.
- Chop the leaves of two sprigs of fresh dill. Finely chop the onion, celery, and artichoke hearts. Stir into the chickpea mixture.
- Add garlic powder, black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, and salt to taste and stir well.
- Spread the Chickpea Salad on your favorite bread or a roll. Add lettuce and tomato and enjoy!