In honor of St. Patrick’s Day coming up, here is a recipe for vegan Irish Potatoes. I was curious about the origins of Irish potatoes so I did a little research. Apparently, there are versions of Irish potatoes that do actually contain mashed potato, but the kind I’ve always had never contained any actual potato. The kind of Irish Potato that I’m familiar with actually originated in Philadelphia. Turns out it’s more of a local speciality from where I grew up than I thought!
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter (softened)
1/2 cup Tofutti vegan cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups of confectioner’s sugar
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- In a mixing bowl beat together the vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, and vanilla until there are no lumps.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the coconut. You’ll probably have to use your hands at this point to mix in the coconut, unless you’re using a stand mixer.
- Roll the mixture into 1 inch balls and then roll the balls in cinnamon. Tap off excess cinnamon.
- Place the Irish Potatoes in the refrigerator to firm up.