This is a recipe that my sister made for us over the holidays (yes I know it was four months ago!). I’m a little late in posting this, but I wanted to share. The recipe is called Feisty Green Beans and you can find it on Heidi Swanson’s blog 101 Cookbooks. These were really tasty and with the inclusion of tofu, it packs some protein into your veggie side dish! Thanks to my sister for making these for us!
1 pound green beans, thinly sliced
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
3 bay leaves
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp or less of crushed red pepper flakes
6 ounces extra firm tofu, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
2 tbsp vegan butter
1/3 cup vegan sour cream
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the green beans for about a minute. Then dunk the green beans in cold water to stop the cooking, drain, and set them aside.
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour scalding hot water over them. Let them sit for five minutes, drain, and set them aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Then add the oil, garlic, onion, and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions and garlic start to brown slightly. Then add the wine and cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir in the spices – paprika, cumin, coriander, curry powder, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the tofu cubes and the raisins and cook for another minute. Then add the vegan butter and green beans, stirring until the vegan butter melts.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the vegan sour cream. Add most of the almonds and most of the cilantro, setting some aside. Add salt and pepper to taste. Before serving, top the dish with the remaining cilantro and almonds.