Welcome to my contribution to the Virtual Vegan Potluck! This recipe is one that my mom came up with, and it’s one of my favorite recipes of hers. It’s a vegan version of a classic meal.
We often make this when we need to bring a meal to share in real life, so it seemed fitting for the Virtual Vegan Potluck as well. It’s easy to make up a big pan of vegan Shepherd’s Pie and it’s well received by vegans and non-vegans alike.
Be sure to check out the other recipes in the Virtual Vegan Potluck by following the links at the bottom of this post. A special thanks to Annie from An Unrefined Vegan for setting all this up! Enjoy!
1 large yellow onion
1 green pepper
1 cup chopped celery
4 cloves of garlic
Two 12 ounce packs of Smart Ground veggie protein crumbles
16 oz of vegan brown gravy
6 oz of tomato paste
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, or 1 can of corn
2 cups frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrots, and peas)
Top Layer – Mashed Potatoes
28 oz (or more) Yukon Gold or Honey Gold Potatoes
4 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
salt and pepper
1/2 cup soy milk
1/8 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
- Chop the onion, shallots, green pepper, and celery. Press or mince the garlic. Saute these ingredients in a little bit of olive oil. Add the Smart Ground crumbles and continue to saute.
- If you are making gravy from a dry mix, follow the directions and make the gravy in a separate pot. My mom uses Streit’s gravy mix. I couldn’t find this, so I used Imagine Vegetarian Wild Mushroom Gravy. Once your gravy is ready, add it to the sauteed veggies and soy crumbles.
- Add the tomato paste. Stir the mixture while bringing it to a simmer.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and corn and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Lightly grease a large casserole dish. Pour the veggie and soy crumbles mixture into the dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Make a big batch of mashed potatoes. You can make them from a mix to save time, or make them from scratch. To make them from scratch start by boiling your potatoes until they are soft (check them by sticking a fork in to test firmness).
- Press or mince the garlic and saute it in a little olive oil.
- Once the potatoes are soft, run them under cold water to cool them down and drain all the water off. The skins will be loose, so you can peel them off pretty easily by hand. Peel all of the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Using a potato masher, mash all of the potatoes until smooth. Add the soy milk, vegan butter, garlic, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined.
- Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the veggie and soy crumble mixture in the casserole dish. The mashed potatoes should completely cover the bottom layer. Brush a little melted vegan butter on top.
- Bake at 375° until the edges bubble and the mashed potatoes are golden brown on top.
- And in the words of my mom “Eat. Smile. Keep the leftovers for tomorrow!”
Go to the Next Main Course at Tiny Kitchen Stories
Go to the Previous Main Course at The Twenties Project
Start at the Beginning at Vegan Bloggers Unite!