Happy Fourth of July! It kind of snuck up on us this year. Since it’s been raining nearly every day for the last month it doesn’t feel like summer yet. It’s been hot, but it feels like an extended rainy spring. I can’t believe it’s July already!
We made a rhubarb and peach crumble to celebrate the holiday. If you’re looking for a last minute dessert recipe, this one is really yummy and pretty simple to make. The peaches and rhubarb provide a sweet and tart combo (like strawberries and rhubarb) that compliments the sweet crumble topping.
If you’re looking for something more patriotically colored (and chocolatey) try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie with Fresh Berries. Add a little vegan whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and you’ll have red, white and blue!
3 fresh ripe peaches (about 2 1/2 – 3 cups)
3-4 stalks of rhubarb (about 3 cups)
1 lemon (juice and zest)
3/4 – 1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup flour
Crumble Topping Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 – 3/4 cup vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter the bottom and sides of an 8 inch baking pan.
- Peel and chop the peaches into about 1 inch pieces. Chop the rhubarb into small pieces. Zest and juice your lemon.
- Place the fruit, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and flour and mix until the fruit is evenly coated. I started with 3/4 cup of sugar and then tasted the mixture. It seemed pretty tart so I added a little more. Adjust the sugar to your own tastes. The sugar and flour will started to mix with the juices from the fruits.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon for the crumble topping. Add the vegan butter in small chunks. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter in. (Sometimes your hands work well too!) The topping should come together in a crumbly consistency, but not as a big ball of dough.
- Place the fruit mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake the crumble for 40-45 minutes until the fruit filling is bubbly and the crumble topping is golden brown.