Lidia from Vegan Bloggers Unite and Air Eater has nominated me for a Liebster Award! And Poppy from Poppy’s Patisserie|Bunny Kitchen nominated me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! Thanks Lidia and Poppy! You should check out both of their blogs if you haven’t already! Vegan Bloggers Unite features guest posts from all kinds of vegan bloggers and contains a blogroll that’s a great way to browse around and find new blogs and recipes. Lidia’s other blog, Air Eater, features vegan and gluten free recipes. Poppy’s blog, Poppy’s Patisserie|Bunny Kitchen features some really yummy looking vegan recipes. Check them out!
Since I was nominated for two blog awards and the Liebster once before as well, I’m going to bend the rules a bit. A lot of the blogs I follow I have either already nominated for the Liebster last time or Lidia nominated, so rather than nominate another 23 blogs or repeat nominations, I’ll just nominate a few more for each. Here are the rules for how the Liebster Blog Award works.
• Post 11 random facts about yourself.
• Answer the 11 questions made by the person who nominated you.
• Create 11 questions for the bloggers you pass the award to.
• Choose 11 bloggers to pass the award to and mention them in your post.
• Go to their blogs and let them know that they have been nominated
• No tag backs.
11 Random Facts about me:
- I have no middle name.
- I hate mushrooms, which is weird for a vegan I think. Lots of vegan food contains mushrooms, but I can’t stand them. I keep trying them every now and then to see if I will grow to like them, but the texture is awful and they don’t seem like food.
- I used to not like olives, artichokes, and eggplant, but now I do like them. This is why I keep trying mushrooms.
- I like to travel, and I would really like to go to Iceland someday (among many places).
- I really want to take a couple months and drive across the US stopping at interesting places along the way.
- Someday I would like to write and direct my own feature length film. I have already started on a couple different scripts, but they’re only partially written.
- I am a big fan of This American Life and Radiolab.
- I have had a lot of pets since I was a child… a parakeet, 2 hamsters, 2 gerbils, a guinea pig, 2 cockatiels, 5 cats, and a handful of fish.
- I enjoy working with my hands and have been pushing myself to learn more DIY skills over the last few months.
- I have a cat that likes to eat everything…shoe laces, towels, plastic bags, wooden doors, curtains, blankets, cat beds…so I have to pretty much baby proof everything for him.
- My favorite flowers are daffodils followed closely by ranunculus.
1. What was the first dish you ever prepared by yourself?
I can’t remember. I’ve been cooking and baking with my parents for as long as I can remember, so the first thing I prepared entirely by myself was probably when I was a young teenager. Most likely it was a cake or cookies or something like that.
2. How adventurous are you in your cooking/baking?
I like to try using new ingredients and recipes from various cultures and regions. I will pretty much try any food as long as it’s vegan. With that said, I do tend to get in ruts and make the same dishes for dinner, but I like to mix it up and find new recipes and ingredients to try when I get bored of the same meals. I also like to make modifications to recipes and rarely follow them exactly as written.
3. What gave you the inspiration to write your blog?
My first inspiration to create The Vegan Kat was the question I would often get, “What do vegans eat?” This was always a hard question to answer because vegans eat a lot of different things. I thought it would be a good idea to start compiling and sharing some recipes so that I had something to point to when asked this question. Also, the blog is helpful as a way to keep track of my favorite recipes, some of which only existed in my head or were scattered about in different places. The blog is an easy way to reference back to recipes and always have them on hand and ready to share with others. Also, I wanted it to be accessible to people who aren’t vegan, but might want to try out a vegan meal or who needed ideas to cook for a vegan friend or relative.
4. What’s your favourite movie?
My career is as a producer and I went to school for TV & Film, so picking a favorite movie is a bit of a challenge for me! I have a lot of favorites so I’ll just list out a few – Amelie, Easy Rider, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Moulin Rouge, Pariah, Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet, The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I’m sure I’m missing a few. I tend to like movies that are realistic with a fantastical element.
5. What book can you not live without?
This is a tough one. My favorite books are A Handmaid’s Tale and the collective works of Kurt Vonnegut. I love to read and have loved many other books, but Margaret Atwood and Kurt Vonnegut always stand out to me. And of course, my Dad is also an author (www.murdomorrison.com). He has written a few books now and is working on another!
6. What’s the best concert you’ve ever seen?
Another tough question! Again I don’t think I can come up with just one answer. Some of my favorites that I’ve seen perform live are Ben Sollee, Erin McKeown, Weezer, Kaki King, Jess Klein, and Jose Gonzalez.
7. How many times have you moved in your life?
I think 7 times, unless I’m missing one.
8. Who inspires you?
So many people inspire me. I would say my first inspiration is my family. Everyone in my immediate family is very talented and creative in their own ways, and being the youngest of the family I always looked up to them and learned a lot from them. In the broader world, I am inspired by Ira Glass for his storytelling on This American Life, Jad Abumrad for his storytelling and editing on Radiolab, all of the musicians I listed in answer #6, Baz Luhrmann, Dee Rees, Margaret Atwood, Kurt Vonnegut, many of the people I have interviewed for segments over the years, Edie Windsor, the Gee’s Bend quilters, Gwen Marston, Vincent Van Gogh… this list could really go on forever.
9. What’s been the best dish you’ve ever made?
It’s too hard to pick just one, so here are a few of my favorite recipes from The Vegan Kat.
Cinnamon Buns from Vegan Yum Yum
Pumpkin Bread with Oatmeal Crumble Topping
10. Do you have any fur babies?
We have three cats, Tucker, Zoey, and Juniper.
11. What are your blog goals?
My blog goals are to continue to post new recipes, try new ingredients and new foods, post more about my art, and just continue to grow and hopefully provide recipes that people are interested in trying out.
My questions for the nominees:
- What’s your favorite book that you think everyone should read?
- What movie or TV series would you recommend watching?
- What’s one of your favorite recipes?
- If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you enjoy traveling, where is your dream destination and why?
- Where’s your favorite place that you have travelled even if it’s somewhere close to home?
- What are some of your hobbies beyond your blog?
- What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you become that?
- Stealing one from Lidia… who inspires you?
- Name one thing on your bucket list.
- Who is your favorite musician or band?
My nominations for the Liebster Blog Award:
And now, the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award:
The rules for Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award are:
1 Visit and thank the blogger who nominated you.
2 Acknowledge that blogger on your blog and a link back.
3 Answer 10 questions given.
4 Nominate up to 12 bloggers for Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award, provide a link to their blogs in your post, and notify them on their blogs.
5 Copy and paste the award somewhere on your blog.
What is your favorite color? — Blue, Green, Purple… I kind of love all colors.
Your favorite animal? — Cats, elephants
Your favorite non-alcoholic drinks? — Peet’s Pumphrey’s Blend Tea, soy lattes, apple cider
Facebook or Twitter? — Facebook
Your favorite pattern? — plaid, stripes, polka dots
Do you prefer getting or giving presents? — Giving, especially homemade ones
Your favorite number? — I don’t really have one
Your favorite day of the week? — Saturday
Your favorite flower? — Daffodils and Ranunculus
What is your passion? — filmmaking, photography, quilting, cooking, working with my hands, creativity
My nominations for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award!