I like to make food from scratch as much as possible, but with a recent move I didn’t have much time to cook (or blog, sorry guys!). Things are finally settling down, and I’m getting organized in my new kitchen. Sometimes when life is hectic you just need a quick dinner that’s still yummy and satisfying. This one fits the bill!
In this recipe, I used Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage vegan sausages. Field Roast also has Italian and Mexican Chipotle vegan sausages which you could try as well, but the Smoked Apple Sage ones are my favorite. Of course you could also make your own vegan sausages if you have a recipe you like and plenty of time to spare! This is a quick and easy vegan version of an old classic.
4 Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage vegan sausages
1 green pepper
1/4 red onion
4 – 5 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
small handful of fresh basil
4 – 5 rolls
Slice the sausages into bite size pieces. Chop the pepper and thinly slice the red onion.
Saute the sausages, pepper, and onion until the edges of the sausage are golden and a little crispy and the onions are translucent.
Press or mince the garlic and add it to the pan to saute.
Thinly slice the basil. Add the basil, salt, and pepper to taste. Saute for another minute for the basil to wilt slightly, then remove from heat.
Slice the rolls and fill them with the sausage and pepper mixture. Top with mustard, ketchup, or your favorite topping and enjoy!
This Polenta Breakfast Casserole in some ways is the vegan equivalent of a quiche without the crust. It takes a little bit of time to prepare, but is the perfect dish if you’re having guests for brunch or just to treat yourself on a lazy Sunday like I did today. This recipe is based on a recipe by Alicia Silverstone called Polenta Casserole with Seitan. I modified her recipe slightly, which is what I’m posting here.
1 1/2 cups polenta or cornmeal
5 cups of water
1 medium size head of cauliflower cut in large pieces
2 pinches of sea salt
1 package of Gimme Lean vegan breakfast sausage
1 small yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup of frozen corn
6 asparagus spears
1/3 cup of soy milk
1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 green onions
- Bring water, polenta, and salt to a boil in a large pot and then reduce heat. Simmer the polenta for 30 minutes stirring frequently. If you don’t stir it, it will stick and get lumpy. In a separate pot steam the cauliflower until soft. It will get mashed into the polenta later so it should be a mash-able consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8×8 casserole dish with a little olive oil.
- Prep your veggies. Chop the onion and shallots, asparagus, and parsley. Press or mince the garlic.
- Saute the onion, shallots, and garlic. Then crumble up the sausage and saute it until the edges get a little crispy.
- Layer the vegan sausage in the casserole dish. Then put the corn, asparagus, onions, garlic, and shallots in an even layer on top.
- Remove the polenta mixture from the heat after the 30 minutes. Add soy milk, and soy sauce. Mash the cauliflower and polenta together until there are no large cauliflower chunks. Add the chopped parsley and shallots and mix well. Taste to see if you need more salt or want to add other seasonings. Next time I make this I may add in some garlic powder and other seasonings to spice up the polenta a little.
- Spoon the polenta mixture into the casserole dish as the top layer. Smooth the top with a spatula, poke a few holes in the surface, and pour a little soy sauce on top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, then let it cool 15 minutes before serving.